We were recently greatly honoured to welcome none other than the Prime Minister of St Lucia, The Honourable Dr. Kenny D. Anthony, to Doolittle’s Restaurant and Bar at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort.
The Prime Minister was at Marigot Beach Club to help celebrate the baptism of our new chef Ian Sherlock’s baby daughter, Charlie. Ian, of course, provided a magnificent spread for the guests; and that’s despite the fact that we had no electricity or water for a couple of hours before the party started – what a hero!
Ian prepared a sumptuous feast, which included some amazingly delicious dishes:
- Traditional St Lucian style Callaloo soup, with crab and spinach
- Minced salt cod fritters with onion garlic local peppers and herbs
- Local green fig salad
- Simmered Fresh pork trotters with onions, herbs and pickled spiced cucumber
- Local fried crispy fish with a spiced crust
- Macaroni cheese
- Garry the goat curry with a blend of traditional St Lucian spices
- Fire roasted breadfruit
- Chicken satay with fragrant peanut sauce
- Minced chicken on sugar cane with a sweet chili glaze
- Vietnamese spring rolls with a spicy sour dipping sauce
- Thai red curry fish
- Five spiced duckling slowly grilled over a wood fire
- BBQ pork ribs brushed with chili sauce
- Stir fried vegetables with ginger in oyster sauce
- Jasmine rice pilaf
- Wild and fragrant rice pudding cooked in coconut milk
- Spiced pineapple in a fragrant apple and Perrier water soup
Marigot Beach Club’s owner, David Shimeld, said of the event (in his inimitable style):
“The food was superb. However, one course consisted of Garry the goat who was running around two hours earlier… that mucked his day up, and didn’t do much for my day either! But socialising with the Prime Minister was a wonderful treat… he was very warm, friendly and amusing, and we had a few hearty laughs. I would tell you more, but then I’d have to shoot you!”
Quite! We bill Marigot Beach Club as a relaxing and laid-back resort, which it is; but when it comes to partying, we certainly know how to do it in style!